CHOICE OF PLAYS
The Board of Directors of Florida Thespians voted to remove the list of titles the students can choose from for their technical events.
This was for a few reasons: It brings us closer in line with EdTA and their events so students can participate in the International Thespian Excellence Awards (THESPYs) at the National level. It offers students a chance to find titles and themes that appeal to them. Finally, it gives students a chance to be inclusive in their play selection, so we can reflect our diverse student body in Florida.
- All rules listed in the Individual Events General Rules apply.
- The student must construct an original, three-dimensional model OR perspective rendering executed to 1/4” = 1’0” OR 1/2″ = 1’0″ showing the set and its relationship to the theatrical space.
- Computer aided design is acceptable.
- At least one figure (to scale) must be included in the rendering or model to show proportion and scale.
- If a multi-set play is chosen, only ONE scene shall be designed.
- The student must include a floor plan of the same scale with their model or rendering.
- The set is to be designed for a stage with a proscenium opening of 38’ w x 20’ h. An apron with a depth of 6′ may also be included. The proscenium arch and wing space must be represented in the model.
- The student must present a justification of the designs. Note cards may be used.
- Only one student may be involved in the set of designs. NO COLLABORATION.
- All artwork used must be the original work of the entrant.
- The event will not exceed ten (10) minutes. The student presentation is not to exceed five (5) of these ten (10) minutes.
- A bibliography is required documenting all resources used including but not limited to written and electronic sources. The bibliography must be in MLA style.
- Each room will be provided with one (1) table, which might not support standing weight. You are limited to this furniture for the event.