All individual events have a maximum time limit of five (5) minutes, except for Monologues (3 mins) and Technical Events (10 mins) as stated in the rules. If any student or group goes over this time limit, she/he/they will be disqualified.
- An introduction MUST include ONLY the entrant’s name(s), title of selection, troupe number and notice of asterisk material. Do not give name of school or other information. The time begins after the troupe number is said.
- The introduction may not be used to establish mood or define character. The introduction is not a performance piece.
- If your piece contains material that MAY offend members of your audience, you are REQUIRED to asterisk the piece on the Individual Event Registration Form and you are REQUIRED to include in your introduction that your piece contains “material that may possibly offend” and you are REQUIRED to allow a few, brief moments for audience members, should they choose, to leave.
The asterisk must be followed by one or more of the following codes: L -for adult language;
S -for sexual situations;
XA -Sexual Assault
SU – Suicide
D -for frank talk of death;
SA -for substance abuse;
V -for violence;
R -for religious commentary;
P -for works related to prejudice or intolerance.
G- Gun shot sound effects
- The audience will make no noise after an Individual Event – this includes applause.
- Students are encouraged to wear black audition/rehearsal attire in all Individual Events. Costumes will not be considered in adjudication.
- Props are permissible if they are USED by the actor.
- No sound effect or music is allowed in any Acting Individual Event unless specified in the text of the scene.
- A playwright’s work may NOT be re-constructed for presentation in an Individual Event. (ie. you may not splice scenes from various parts of the play to create your own adaptation)
- The number of entries and events in the Individual Events will be determined annually by the State Board.
- Students may participate in no more than 3 Individual Events in addition to the One Act Event.
- No student may enter an event more than once.
- ACCOMPANISTS: Each musical theatre event is allowed up to one accompanist per event. Any other musical instrument played will be counted as a performer within the number allowed in the event. A Student accompanist at State must be fully registered; an adult accompanist at State must be registered as a chaperone or attend with a day pass. A student who only accompanies an event at Districts that proceeds to State may attend State as a fully registered student.
- Students receiving a Superior rating at the District level are eligible to perform at the State level. It is possible that the sponsor will be able to bring students receiving Excellents at Districts to State. This will be determined every August and will be detailed in the registration packet. Final selection will be the sponsor’s decision.
- There will be a $25.00 fee for each change or cancellation made.
- All Individual Events presented at State Festival must be the same title and cutting, with the same participants, that received a Superior at District Festival.
- No Prop Weapons Allowed: This includes any prop that is being used to simulate a weapon.
- All Participants must be currently enrolled and attending classes at the same school as the troupe presenting the IEs. Home school students may be included in the troupes IEs if those students reside within the boundaries of that school. Any exceptions must be made to the State Director.
- All events are limited to the furniture in the room. Regardless to the existing furniture of the host school or venue, the events may only use the listed furniture in the specific event rules.