CHOICE OF PLAYS
The Board of Directors of Florida Thespians voted to remove the list of titles the students can choose from for their technical events.
This was for a few reasons: It brings us closer in line with EdTA and their events so students can participate in the International Thespian Excellence Awards (THESPYs) at the National level. It offers students a chance to find titles and themes that appeal to them. Finally, it gives students a chance to be inclusive in their play selection, so we can reflect our diverse student body in Florida.
The selected play must be published.
- All rules listed in the Individual Events General Rules apply.
- The student must present three (3) character renderings. These may represent three (3) different characters and/or may follow a single character through several appropriate changes.
- Computer assisted design is acceptable.
- Each design must be executed in full color and displayed on a 10″ x 15″ white display board. The display board cannot be mounted on any other surface. All figures must be 10″ tall. Children and unique characters may be varied ini size but need to be in proportion to the 10” high standard. The base of the figure should be 3″ from the lower edge of the board. A human figure may be traced to use as a template upon which a costume creation may then be placed. Tracing of a costume outline or silhouette is unacceptable.
- The board should be labeled in the following manner:
- Upper Left hand corner: Name of the show and author.
- Upper Right hand corner: Name of the character, act, and scene.
- Lower Right hand corner: Student’s name and troupe number.
- The character renderings may or may not have drawn faces.
- The student must attach fabric swatches, measuring a minimum of 2″x2″, by the top edge of the swatch only. Mount the swatch on the right side of the presentation board so that the swatch may be lifted and felt in order to evaluate appropriate fabric texture, draping ability, weight, grain, etc.
- Other costume embellishments (buttons, trims, etc.) can be placed on the presentation board on the side with the swatches.
- The student must present a justification of the designs. Note cards may be used.
- Only one student may be involved in the set of designs. NO COLLABORATION.
- All artwork used must be the original work of the entrant.
- The event will not exceed ten (10) minutes. The student presentation is not to exceed five (5) of these ten (10) minutes.
- A bibliography is required documenting all resources used including but not limited to written and electronic sources. The bibliography must be in MLA style.
- Each room will be provided with one (1) 4×4 card type table, which will not support standing weight. You are limited to this furniture for the event.