STUDENT CHOREOGRAPHY RULES
CHOICE OF PLAYS
The student may choose any musical play from the list announced by the State Board of
Directors in the September issue of the Florida State Thespian web page.
1. The student choreography may select any song from the list of plays designated by
the State Board of Directors from the musical theatre selections.
2. Students must submit a prompt book for the dance. The submitted prompt book
must include, but is not limited to:
A. Thematic statement of the dance
B. Character summary: include relationships with each other and their
surroundings, using the characters who are present in the musical number.
C. Floor plan for the dance: provide a complete ground plan to a scale as you
would stage it in full performance for the dance.
Examples of additional materials that may be included in the prompt book:
C. Chart of the music and notation the dance steps in a list format
3. Only (1) one student may be the Choreographer . NO COLLABORATION.
4. Student Choreographer MUST choose performers who are participating in one other
event at the district level in order for them to qualify for state.
5. Be prepared to answer questions based on the performance of the dance.
6. Time limit: five (5) minutes for the required uninterrupted performance. The remainder
of the time is designated for justification and questions. The event shall not exceed ten
7. 1 to 16 performers.
8. The Choreographer may not perform in the dance.
1. One (1) chair per character in the chosen dance.
2. One sturdy table provided.
3. Prop(s) may be used, at the student choreographers’ discretion, if it is an integral part
of the dance: for example, a cane or hat commonly used in a Fosse style dance.